HRH Prince Michael of Kent Concludes Record Breaking Concours of Elegance 2014 at Hampton Court Palace with ‘Best of Show’ Presentation
in COE News, by Amy 7th September, 2014
- The Pullman Trophy for ‘Best of Show’ 2014 presented to the legendary 1931 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Touring ‘Flying Star’
- Exclusive prize winners’ presentation made at private reception on Saturday in King Henry VIII’s Great Dining Hall at Hampton Court Palace, hosted by Concours Patron HRH Prince Michael of Kent
- Concours of Elegance 2014 recorded biggest crowds in the event’s three year history with more than 10,000 visitors over the weekend
Concours entry owners and guests were invited to an exclusive and exquisite dinner for the prizewinners’ announcements on Saturday night, hosted in the Great Dining Hall at Hampton Court Palace by Concours of Elegance Patron, HRH Prince Michael of Kent.
The ‘Best of Show’ Alfa Romeo ‘Flying Star’ is a legendary show car, which made its concours debut in 1931 at the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este, where, accompanied by the model Josette Pozzo, it won the Coppa d’Oro di Villa d’Este trophy. It has been winning accolades and trophies ever since.
Other prizewinners at the 2014 Concours of Elegance include:
- 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL “Alloy” Gullwing Coupé (The AIG Private Clients Award for the Most Historically Significant Car)
- Sonja Schaefer driving the 1929 Mercedes-Benz 680 S Saoutchik Torpedo Roadster (The Pol Roger Award for the Most Elegant Gentleman or Lady Driver)
- 1933 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental Freestone & Webb Coupé (The William & Son Award for the Most Elegant British Motor Car)
- 1970 Lancia Stratos Zero Bertone Concept (The RM Auctions Award for the Most Innovative Car of its Era)
- 1934 Triumph Dolomite 8C SS Corsica Roadster (The Royal Automobile Club Spirit of Motoring Award)
- 1936 Bugatti T57 Paul Née Pillarless Coupé (The Connolly Award for the Most Elegant Interior)
- 1938 Talbot-Lago T150C-SS Figoni et Falaschi Coupé (The Autoglym Elegant Design Award)
The 2014 Concours of Elegance at Hampton Court Palace is the third such automotive gathering in London, which, since the first event in 2012, has set a new global benchmark for classic car concours events; winning a number of prestigious awards and accolades. It is unique in the fact that the setting changes from year to year but with the consistent theme of always being held on the lawns of a Royal palace. Only the highest calibre of cars are invited to the Concours of Elegance, with the rarest cars in the world painstakingly selected by the Concours’ team of respected and authoritative experts.